Mercedes-Benz partners with Grow Trees to promote green cause; undertakes afforestation drive in Maharashtra
Mercedes-Benz India has planted 50,000 native trees in the eight villages in Yavatmal and Amravati districts in Maharashtra under its ‘Mercedes for India’ initiatives
- These trees are planted in an area of 1,680 acres covering two districts of Yavatmal and Amravati
- An average 250-300 people stay in each of these eight villages belonging to the ‘vulnerable tribes’ as declared by the Government of India
- This entire project is undertaken with the goal of creating environmental sustainability in the long run and also providing livelihood to the tribal communities
- The community has been involved in setting up a nursery; growing seeds into saplings; planting trees; taking care of the plantation plots
- This entire activity will give monetary benefit in form of wages to the community representatives
- The mass plantation will create a greater impact on the environment, especially to the soil fertility and bio-diversity of the area
- This initiative is undertaken by Mercedes-Benz to bring awareness among its customers | Environmental awareness to be created among 5000 customers by gifting a certificate for 10 trees to these customers
Pune: Pursuing its relentless endeavour to make a positive difference in the society, the country’s largest luxury car manufacturer Mercedes-Benz India has partnered with Grow Trees to encourage afforestation. The company has planted 50,000 trees in eight villages covering two districts of Yavatmal and Amravati. The plantation of 50,000 trees has been covered in 1,680 acres of land. This entire activity will benefit the tribal communities living in these villages, giving them an opportunity to earn their daily wages and making them an active participant in conservation of the biological diversity which is the need of the hour. Mercedes-Benz India will present a certificate for 10 trees to each customer targeting an overall base of 5000 customers, making them aware about the ecological challenges and spreading the message of environmental awareness.
Talking about this noble initiative, Roland Folger, Managing Director & CEO, Mercedes-Benz India commented, “Mercedes-Benz has always been an environmental conscious automotive brand. We want our customers and citizens in general to be aware about the environmental challenges like global warming and ecological changes. We have planted 50,000 trees that will offset the carbon footprint of our production process. The plantation will bring significant changes in the lives of the villagers who will not only find a livelihood, but will also benefit from the increased vegetation in the area. This initiative will further create awareness about the ecological benefits of afforestation, thus contributing to environmental sustenance.”
The areas of Yavatmal and Amravati have always reeled under the effects of drought and climatic changes. This activity will increase the fertility of the soil and will allow the newly grown vegetative cover to reduce the effects of soil erosion. This will increase fertility and change the entire biodiversity of the region.
On the occasion of signing the MoU, Mr. Pradip P. Shah, Chairman, Grow Trees said, “The association of Grow Trees and Mercedes-Benz India is another step which enhances our efforts towards creating a greener planet. Grow Trees has been committed towards regeneration of degraded forests and on extending vegetative cover on the uplands to reduce and reverse the devastating effects of soil erosion and run off of water. This project not only addresses such issues, but will also enhance the environmental conditions in the area but also provide indirect empowerment to rural-tribal communities in the nursery stage.”
These 50,000 trees will act as major carbon-sync for the atmospheric carbon, as they will consume approximately 20 kg of carbon (per tree) from surrounding environment in due course.