• The de-growth in the Delhi/NCR market was compensated by a strong demand in other markets across the country
• Delhi NCR dealer partners negatively impacted by the restriction on diesel vehicle registration, and were unable to participate in the growth witnessed in the luxury car segment across markets
• An unwavering customer preference for the Three Pointed Star continues in the Indian market despite market challenges
• Mercedes-Benz scripted a historic sales for the 2015-16 Fiscal Year, selling 13,558 units between April 2015 and March 2016 (April 2014 to March 2015: 11,213; + 21%)
• Clocks the best ever quarter: 3,622 units sold in January to March 2016 period (January to March2015: 3,566 units; +1.6%)
• The best month ever: March 2016 sales was the highest ever recorded in a single month by Mercedes-Benz in its history
• The E-Class was the highest selling car model for Mercedes-Benz in the first quarter of 2016
• The only luxury brand to clock more than 13,500 units in both calendar and fiscal year
• Waitlist continues for the S-Class, Mercedes-Maybach and GLE across dealerships in India
• Spectacular growth buoyed by strong customer sentiment as well as a diverse product portfolio comprising the luxury sedans, the NGCs, the SUVs and the Dream Cars
Mercedes-Benz India clocks its highest ever sales in the Indian market; scripts its best month, best quarter and best fiscal ever
Pune: India’s largest luxury car maker Mercedes-Benz today announced its best ever sales in the dynamic Indian market. The company recorded its best fiscal year (13,558 units), best quarter (3,622 units) and best monthly sales ever (March 2016). This historic sales performance firmly underscores the growing customer preference for the Three Pointed Star in India, as a result of a highly focused customer centric approach adopted by the brand. The Q1 sales momentum achieved is significant against the backdrop of the diesel ban in the key Delhi and NCR market, successive price hikes and a lack of incentives for the automotive sector in the Union Budget.
The E-Class, celebrating 20 years in India, was the highest selling car model for Mercedes-Benz in the first quarter of 2016. The E-Class’ popularity was closely followed by the C-Class which remained a significant volume contributor in Q1 2016. Apart from the sedans, the SUV portfolio comprising the GLA, GLE and the GL also grew in Q1 2016. The New Generation Cars remained a steady contributor to volumes in the quarter as well.
Roland Folger, Managing Director & CEO, Mercedes-Benz India, commented “It is a significant achievement for us, as we have maintained our growth momentum in Q1 2016, despite facing multiple market challenges. We have been able to compensate the negative sales impact in the Delhi and NCR market, with a strong double digit growth achieved in most other markets across the country. This strongly underlines the fact that luxury car buyers increasingly prefer Mercedes-Benz. It underpins as well that the loyalty of our discerning patrons is with the brand. Our product drive across the spectrum, the tailor made finance programmes, the unique service initiatives have all been well appreciated, resulting in our historic sales success. Pursuing our ‘go to customer’ strategy we presented world-class retail facilities to our patrons in both new and existing markets. We also remained the luxury car brand with the most comprehensive retail network. This network drive enhanced our growth story even further with new customers opting for a Mercedes-Benz.”
Mr. Folger elaborated, “The result of our ‘Winning’ initiatives has been instrumental in achieving an inclusive growth for Mercedes-Benz in the first quarter itself. We are confident of maintaining this profitable and sustainable growth in India, as we will be introducing some of the most awaited products from our global portfolio in the coming months. The success of the first quarter, despite facing significant sales challenges, gives us the confidence that our strategy for 2016 is on the right track and bearing fruits. We are delighted with the multiple sales records achieved this year. With some of the most awaited products, brand and service initiatives ahead of us, the remaining quarters are going to be exciting and promising for Mercedes-Benz.”