‘One Team, One Goal’ to be the guiding philosophy for 2017 | Globally, Mercedes-Benz achieved the best ever sales record in its history, was the best-selling premium car brand
- 13,231 units sold in the January to December 2016 period, amid adverse market challenges (January to December 2015: 13,502 units)
- Mercedes-Benz remains successful in retaining customer trust amidst challenges like the diesel ban for eight months in key Delhi NCR market, high excise duty, rising prices and demonetization effect in 2016
- Strong growth came from the SUV segment which grew by 20% in 2016; with GLE emerging as the highest selling SUV in Mercedes-Benz’s portfolio followed by the GLA and GLS
- The segment which witnessed the highest growth was the AMG and Dream Car portfolio
- The C-Class sedan remained the highest selling Mercedes-Benz model for the second year in a row, replacing the E-Class sedan as the top seller, since 2015
- December 2016 sales were higher than the same month last year, despite demonetization effect
- While strong product drive, expansion into new areas within India and value-driven finance packages drove growth, introduction of novel service campaigns
- and launch of the innovative ‘My Mercedes, My Service’ was instrumental in winning customer loyalty and strongly driving ‘service excellence’ as a key differentiator, across markets in 2016
- Roland Folger: “2016 was a year of market challenges but despite facing such challenges, it is quite satisfying for us to have made the best of the opportunities that we had. In 2016, we retained the customer’s trust and loyalty and emerged as the most preferred luxury car brand in India. We remain bullish on our outlook for 2017, and will continue with our customer centric initiatives, which is instrumental to our success in this dynamic market.”
Pune: India’s largest luxury car brand Mercedes-Benz, today achieved a significant sales milestone, as it registered more than 13,000 units for the second year in row. By registering sales of 13,231 units in the January to December 2016 period, Mercedes-Benz successfully maintained its sales momentum despite battling strong market challenges, round the year. In 2016, the brand with the Three Pointed Star introduced the latest technology in its products and presented the latest model line-up from its global portfolio, at the shortest possible time. Mercedes-Benz also commands the highest level of customer satisfaction, the least average maintenance cost and provides best value for a luxury car.
In 2016, the momentum of the brand was buoyed by its product strategy with all-round contribution from all the segments. The luxury SUV range of Mercedes-Benz comprising the GLA, GLC, GLE, GLE Coupé, GLS and G-Class grew by more than 20% during the January-December 2016 period, with the GLE emerging as the highest sold SUV for the brand. In the luxury sedan segment, the C-Class sedan remained the highest selling luxury sedan for Mercedes-Benz in Jan-Dec 2016 period, closely followed by the E-Class and S-Class. However, the sports car and performance brand Mercedes-AMG and the Dream Cars achieved double digit growth rates in 2016, underlining Mercedes-Benz’s strong dominance in the performance car segment. Additionally, the New Generation Cars continued its success story with a high conquest rate, which ensured that Mercedes-Benz remained the preferred choice among the dynamic, affluent and young Indians.
Roland Folger, Managing Director & CEO, Mercedes-Benz India commented, “Clocking more than 13,000 for two consecutive years is an achievement for us, given the uncertainties and challenges we faced last year. We are very satisfied with our strategy, which has been bearing fruits and makes us the most preferred luxury car brand for the discerning customers. Today, Mercedes-Benz, despite facing market challenges, has been able to retain the impeccable trust of the customers. Our strong sales momentum in 2016 underlines this customer trust on a winning brand, which strengthened the brand’s position and market share, more than ever before. Our unmatched product strategy, network expansion drive, comprehensive financial programmes, supported by innovative and value-driven service excellence initiatives, buoyed our momentum.”
Mr. Folger further elaborated, “2016 was a challenging year, but our sales achievement makes us bullish for 2017 and gives us confidence for the mid to long-term growth prospect of the market. We are hopeful of a stable business environment and long-term roadmap for the luxury auto industry in India, which has the potential to grow and contribute more to the economy. In 2017, we will continue our winning philosophy with ‘ONE TEAM, ONE GOAL’ approach, which aims at creating the best customer experience, through a range of varied customer centric initiatives.”
‘One Team, One Goal’: 2017 growth strategy
Mercedes-Benz India’s growth strategy for 2017 will comprise an aggressive product line-up, which will see launch of new products across segments, some of which will be without a predecessor. There will be a mix of volume cars and also performance cars in the product mix offered in 2017. In 2017, Mercedes-Benz will also undertake the next phase of initiatives in the after-sales domain with new innovations in the pipeline planned, including the roll-out of ‘My Mercedes, My Service 2.0’ amongst other initiatives. Service excellence will continue to remain Mercedes-Benz’s key differentiator and in retaining customer loyalty. Creating a novel luxury retail experience across retail outlets combined with new market expansion will drive new customer base creation, in the network expansion. In addition, there will be continuation of unparalleled brand experiences in form of experiential marketing initiatives. Mercedes-Benz India as a responsible corporate citizen will also pursue giving back to the society in its own way, through various social initiatives, that aims to bring a positive change.